can't make a long story short

Berfore yesterday i hadn't posted in a while, buy i had to go back to this post i started a few weeks ago.

A few weeks ago, I was a chaperon on a trip for my son's pre-school (one of those moments when you realize, oh shit, I’m really a mother! But anyway). At the school, while we were waiting for the bus to come, some of the parents were gathered, one much louder than the other. For some reason (other than her being generally loud and obnoxious) I took note of this woman. Like a bookmark was created in my brain for her. At one point where she was speaking loudly, she was telling the story of how her "husband" had to go to the hospital and got mad about something and started to spaz out. The medic was explaining to her how his behavior wasn't normal so she was like how you gonna say that’s not normal, maybe that’s normal for him, that’s just how he is, you don't know him, you cant say that’s not normal. *crickets* [insert stupid face here]

I see her another time outside the school in a truck, and again I take note of this woman. I don't know why she is so prevalent in my usually oblivious brain.

Thee Karrie B did a post a few weeks ago about a friend in an abusive relationship. I’ve witnessed people in the situation, and as the concept has in the past, it made me wonder how people do it. I know for a fact, I could not stay in a relationship where I feared I would get punched in my mouth for speaking my mind…I mean shit, this is why I moved out of my mothers house lol. My mouth can be crazy. When I ready, aim, fire, I go for the jugular, which is why I try not to, but imagine, I mouth off a little and my man decides he can introduce his black hand side to my brown face, or worse. I mean even if for no other reason, who has time to spend in the emergency room like that?? I absolutely adore makeup, but imagine me killing my MAC select coverage concealer and foundation trying to hide a bruise on my face. A bruise on my face?!?!? Ok I’m going off on a tangent.
Well! Yesterday morning the next week, one morning I wake up super late..like SUPER late. My son and I rush out of the house, speed from one borough to the next and get to his school. As we approach the school, there is a man standing in the passenger side of a truck, screaming, cursing, and going off. There is also another man standing behind him trying to calm him down. I’m not sure what this conversation was about, I couldn't really make out the words, so I didn't know if this dude was just loud or really beefing. But I did recognize the truck. I grab my kid's hand tighter and scurry up the school steps. I’m hoping he was just waiting for her, and she and the kid were already inside the school. She wasn’t. When I come back down the school steps I hear her before I see her (as usual)… She can't believe he did this shit, somebody please call the police, she's spitting out blood. When I get to the landing she is asking another parent for their cell phone to call the police, her daughter's father fucked her up (her words, not mine). She has the little girl on her hip and she's crying to the point her words can no longer be understood. I offer to take the little girl inside for her. And I do. She needs to use my phone when I come back down the school steps again, and I end up being around when the police arrive. And to hear her tell the story of what happened left me bewildered. This man had literally pushed her teeth back, punched her repeatedly in the face, and choked her while telling her he was going to kill her in front of her (their) daughter after they got into an argument. What 3 year old needs to see and hear that shit? Hell, I’m 24, I didn't need to see or hear that shit. But who do I see hopping out that same truck this morning?? Like, for real lady?? For real homie?? Y’all show your faces around here together? Like this shit never happened? Like you have no pride. Like you didn’t have other people involved in your dysfunction that is your relationship. The nerve of you. I felt betrayed. Not because I did anything all that great for her, not because we have any type of friendship or relationship for that matter. Just cause. People (I) rallied behind you, made themselves(myself) late for work, to stand behind you just because you are another woman, and it could have easily been one of us (me) a man went off on. It’s not your fault if a nigga loses it to the point where he’s pummeling your face. It is though, if you stay.

While we were standing around after the incident, another parent said the sad thing is that she’s going to go back to him because they have other kids together and she’s not working, and she was right. So I grabbed Ahmir’s hand and challenged him to a race to the school steps, bypassing and ignoring their ignorant asses and this time when I came back down the steps I kept it moving to my car. What I feel I should’ve done that day he beat her.

I wonder, what would be my reaction to a friend that was in this type of situation. I had a roommate in college whose boyfriend was physically abusive. And you couldn’t tell her nothing about him. We weren’t friends at the time though, so I never tried. I just watched her shut down others and shook my head. Only once in front me of me, where he had just pushed her and she landed in my bed. But he later on went on to beat her ass on Willoughby Street in broad daylight, after taking off his shirt and chain like he was about to shoot the fair one with another dude. That shit is amazing to me. And yeah some could say I shouldn’t pass judgment because I’ve never been in the situation. But, I’ve allowed a dude to do some wack shit to me, but don’t ever put your hands on me. We will be Ike and Tina in the back of that limo. You might fuck me up, but you’ll leave with some lumps too. FOH!

2 Responses to "can't make a long story short" (Leave A Comment)

dejanae says
June 12, 2008 at 9:53 AM

insanity
doin the same crap over and over again and expecting different results

she's probably staying bcuz she feels she cant go it alone
what wit the multiple kids and lack of job

its sad but also a reality for many abused woman
i could never see myself in that position but then again
noone goes into a relationship expecting that abuse would be the outcome

hopefully she gets the motivation and help to leave him
if for no other reason then she doesnt want her children to fall into the same pattern of behavior

TimahTimah says
June 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM

I tagged u!