Can't Knock the Hustle

After church a few Sundays ago in the almost empty sanctuary, a guy walking down the aisle with a large grin on his face walks right up to me and introduces himself and his wife. I'm a little confused as to why exactly they're speaking to me, but I smile offer him my hand to shake. He grabs and hugs me. As he begins to tell the story of how we are acquainted, I realize he is this guy my mother has been telling me about that is very fond of my son. Now, I don't feel so awkward. We begin to talk about the service and how good it was, and he lets me know it was the music that really did it for him. A little flag begins to wave inside, I couldn't figure out why, but it did. Then he says, "Cause you know, I'm a writer...I write music". Ohhhh, he's one of those. So I'm standing there being my charming self but I'm like why is he telling me this? So now we're standing outside the church talking (he and his wife are quite chatty), somewhere along the line he mentions a singer (if you can call him that) that I've had the displeasure of meeting. He goes "well you mom told me you didn't really care for him when you met him". Thats why my flag was waving, he knows. So I don't dive in the deep end, I keep the conversation going on a normal course. And he nudges me with his elbow and says to his wife "See {Sass} works for [insert job name here], she knows people (i know no one), she meets people (I meet no one, and why the hell did my mother tell you where I work??!?!?). I know all about you," he says to me. GRRRRRREEEAAAAAAAAAAAAT, I think to myself. Mind you, I don't work in the music industry, but that does not stop this man. Can't knock his hustle though.

I'm doing really well as far as shows go this year. I got to see Jay-Z and MJB a week ago (dying to go to the MSG show too) and found out I just got tix to see Kanyeezie (!!!) and I need to get on my tix to see Badu, cause if I see or saw no one else this year, I need to see her. There is nothing like Badu live, trust, NOTHING. But Jay-Z and Mary was amazing. Definitley Mary's show though. I love MJB, I'm 24, so she's raised me. Her's was the first cd I ever bought. That $11.99 at the Wiz damn near killed me, but Whats the 411? was sooo worth way more. I like Growing Pains. The 3 albums before that, not so much for me. But My Life (classic), Share My World (greatness), Mary (slept on), even The Tour (the live album) were all my joints. I left that show with an even deeper appreciation for Mary. I appreciate her growth personally and musically. People knock the "happy" Mary, but she did exactly what she was supposed to do, and that was better herself and evolve. And buying a 12.3 million dollar house with cash...Can't knock her hustle either!

5 Responses to "Can't Knock the Hustle" (Leave A Comment)

Eb the Celeb says
April 8, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Um dang... can Eb get the hook-up on some tix... dang!

kit von b. says
April 9, 2008 at 8:28 AM

i kinda like vintage mary better...i dunno.

-KB

Sass says
April 9, 2008 at 9:28 AM

@ Eb: i just found out they may actually want me to PAY for kanye tix... i love him but....i dunno about that one

@ Karrie: i love vintage Mary too, her old stuff was her greatest. But she's definitely still making good music.

Sherece says
April 14, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Girlllll... Mary was my first album too and it was played on my first CD player! LOLLLLLL

Habitual Beauty says
April 14, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Hey chick thanks so much for stopping by my blog i really like this place that you have here keep up the fab work i love it add me to your blog roll i will do the same!!!